Wednesday, January 5, 2011

it was a good fight.


A conversation that comes up EVERY vacation we go on:

(Bryce) "If you had money for a second home would you buy a cabin or a beach house?"
(Me) "You know my answer. A beach house."

Literally. This question comes up every time we travel. And every time I tell Bryce the same answer. It's never the answer he his hoping for, which is why I think he feels the need to always ask it. Secretly hoping that one day his ears might hear me say "cabin." and then i'm pretty sure he would head to the bank, and then start building a cabin.

Really, there is no better nature scene than the ocean. i love it. I can really just sit and stare at it for hours.

But im not going to lie, the forest really put up a good fight this weekend.

We went up to Bryce's Grandparents cabin for New Year's. It started snowing on us even before we got to Payson. By time we got to their cabin which is up by Christopher Creek, the snow was a couple feet deep.

I dont think I could ever live in the snow. But i do love to visit it. We had the time of our lives sledding.

But perhaps my most favorite part of the weekend was sitting in the warmth of the cabin, hot cocoa in hand, and just looking out at the snow and the trees. It really was the most beautiful sight. Something I could possibly look at for hours. The best word I can think of to describe it was ..still.. When you look at it long enough you can feel that sense of stillness. I look outside our office window now and my eyes are aching for that still scene again.

I was a lover of the snow this weekend.
The forest fought hard and long.
It was a good fight.
Now all I can think about is...
When's our next trip to the beach.




 





Here's a video that Bryce put together of our weekend in the snow.


New Year's Day at the Cabin from Bryce Gurr on Vimeo.

2 comments:

  1. Yay for the beach! never ever change your mind! I am not just saying that because I now live 10 min away from your favorite beach, so inevitably when you go to the beach I will get to see you:), but because the beach/ocean is the best most peaceful place for me too! Love the snow for a minute - love the beach FOREVER! plus the beach doesn't melt..it is always here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not a snowman.

    But I am a mountainman of sorts.

    And I really love words man.

    So I very much enjoyed your post.

    ReplyDelete