Sunday, December 26, 2010

to sum it up


If i were to choose one picture to sum up our christmas this year...it would have to be this one.

.happy.

.fun.

.crazy.

.fast.

My most favorite holiday went by way too fast this year. I am playing back the month of december in my head and it seems as though its all in fast forward. There was one day, however, that we seemed to be able to press the pause button. to be able to REALLY think about Christmas. Think about our Savior. And think about the things that matter most to us.

this day was Christmas Eve.

Every year, every Christmas Eve, our family gathers together. This night is, and always will be, dedicated to our yearly Connolly Family toast. Its a night of family. A night of food. A night of laughter. A night of love. A night of toasts.


The evening started out with dinner. My dad grilled up some killer filet mignon. My mom put together some amazing sides. When our bellies were full it was time for our toast.  For those that are not familiar with the C family toast i will quickly explain. We have a toast each year. We start youngest to oldest and tell the family things that we have been grateful for over the past year. When a family member is done we all toast and take a sip of cider, and the next person goes. Its something so simple. and yet, it is something so amazing.

Its amazing to see our family over the years. To watch how it grew from 6 to now 11. To hear of the things that everyone is grateful for. To hear the changes from year to year. Its emotional. spiritual. There is never. never. a dry eye in the house.

Every year it's an amazing experience. And each year I am touched by different toasts. This year, I was very touched by the toast of a younger brother. Who never ceases to amaze me. The moment he started the family toast, i was in tears. He spoke of the thing he was most grateful for. No it wasn't his Ipad, it wasnt his friends, it wasnt his parents, it wasnt his cooler older sister. no it was none of those. This year Brett was most grateful for Benson and Grace. His niece and nephew. It was moving to watch this 16 year old, through lots of tears, express his love for these two children. He talked of the Savior. And how he now understands the love the Savior has for us...because of the love he feels for Benson and Grace. That toast will forever be engraved in my heart. Thank you little bro for your sweet spirit and for being the greatest uncle a little nephew could ask for.



As for me, I am grateful for so many things this year...


I am grateful for family. an amazing family. and amazing inlaws.

Grateful for my husband and son. the greatest joys in my life.

Grateful for my Savior. Grateful for his unconditional love.

Grateful for friends. old friends and new friends.

Grateful for our home. and our neighborhood.

Grateful for our ward. Grateful for my calling.

Grateful for Bryce's job. Grateful that I can be at home with Bens.

Grateful for a Father in Heaven, who has blessed me with all of this and so much more this year.

Happy Christmas. Happy New Year. Happy Everything. Love The Gurr Family.

2 comments:

  1. That was very sweet Britt. It made my eyes sweat.

    Brett did have an amazing toast. For a minute, almost a full minute, he was wise beyond years. But now he is back. Back to his 16-year-old self. And looks like we may have to wait another 364 days to see his wiseness resurface. Loved, loved, loved having my grandkids there on Christmas morning. Benson and Gracie were so much fun.

    Thanks for skillfully summarizing this year's event. LU.

    -Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Christmas Eve sounds wonderful! I am so grateful Bryce is married into such a great and wonderful family and one that does special family traditions! Months to come you may forget what you opened but you will never forget the special words that are shared together as a family. I love your posts Brittney you are one talented girl! I am so grateful for the 3 of you ! I love you lots! Mom
    Oh and yes your pictures look like you are at the fanciest reception or hotel! It looks BEAUTIFUL!!!

    ReplyDelete