Friday, January 7, 2011

sunrise. and some vanilla ice.


We were finally able to hit up the slopes on Tuesday. Along with everything else me and bryce enjoy, there is also snowboarding. Its been a long three winters without it. I blame Benson. We both picked it up in high school and have been enjoying it ever since. We also took Brett, who we have been promising to take for the past couple of seasons. 

It was a beautiful day. We were still in Arizona so the snow wasnt that amazing. mostly packed powder. But there was hardly anyone there which made it that much more enjoyable. There is nothing worse than a big crowd when your coming down the slopes. Especially for me, I think I am a little bit of a nervous rider. When I hear a boarder come behind me (or if a dang skier gets too close) it freaks me out, and I usually end up biffing. But this day was awesome. There were some runs that we never even saw another rider.

I was grateful that I picked up right where I left off three years ago. I think it was somewhere between awesome and amazing :) No. i'm nowhere near any of those. It was just nice to be able to carve down the mountain without falling. I did have one favorite biff. It was on our last run of the day. I had become fairly comfortable on the board. A little too comfortable. I caught a bad edge, and it had slammed me on my back. I looked up for some husbandly support. Bryce was already down the mountain. And then the sweetest little girl came swishing by me on ski's, and in the cutest little voice you've ever heard, called out "hey are you ok?" I told her "yes thank you!" she yelled "ok" and then proceeded to swish down the hill and rode up along a sideburn like she was some kind of professional skier. She couldnt have been more than 8 years old. but she had made my day with her sweet little voice of concern. She might of just opened up my heart a little bit to skiers. just a little bit.

Im glad we were able to go and spend the day at Sunrise. Its funny, once you have children, its so easy to stop doing the things you once loved. The things that make you feel young again. my heart felt like I was a teenager again. my body unfortunately felt like a train wreck. 









I wasnt able to take too many pics due to cold fingers but you can check out Bryce's footage from the day. It might just make you want to hit the slopes.



Snowboarding Sunrise from Bryce Gurr on Vimeo.

5 comments:

  1. Hey I remember your first time snowboarding! We totally rocked that mountain all on our own! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vanilla ice ice baby ding ding ding ding da du ding ding...all i hear is that song when I see the words vanilla ice! haha looks like so much fun! even though i hate snow and snowboarding haha! Bryce is one lucky guy to have such a HOT and FUN wife! Can i rent you some time to go snowboarding with my husband? love you

    ReplyDelete
  3. I spent all day looking for songs for Bryce's video...and you pick Vanilla Ice? Ouch.

    We will trade a day with Benson for a day without Brett anytime!!! :)

    Cool couple.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i just love you! you are so funny and witty! I could totally hear your voice doing the brother chatwin skiing sounds when you were telling about the little girl skiing by you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Britt, I sense a little aggression towards the better species--"the skier"!! I'll have you know we were on this planet loooonnnggg before your kind was ever thought about. You guys have some evolving to do still. Do you notice the subtle differences? We can stand while putting on our gear, while you have to sit in the cold hard snow to buckle EVERY time you get on or off the lift. When you need a rest, on your butts you go...I could keeping going all day but I'll just stop there and say, you'll come around to the better sport and strap on a couple of sticks (skis) someday and your butt will thank you, you knuckle dragger you!

    I do give Bryce some props on the awesome video. Totally made me want to get up there and SKI!!!

    Still miss you at work!

    ReplyDelete