Thursday, October 14, 2010

i have a dream.

Well actually I have two. one realistic. one not so realistic.

Lets just start with the unrealistic so we can get it out of the way. I've always dreamed of buying a junky beach house on Newport Beach and then renovating it into my dream home for us to live in. and yes, family and friends to use as well. But thats a dream.

Ok. realistic dream. i have a vision of me and my family, we have two kids at the time, and we are traveling up the west coast in our motorhome. motorhome? I know what your thinking...those suckers can be 100 grand easy. And yes, new ones are pricey. Let me tell you what we're thinking. First. imagine ugly. wait, go uglier. We are talking probably early 70's ugly. Under 2 grand. Class C Motorhome. Yes, the outside will probably look like white trash. But the inside is going to be a beauty. We would completely reno it. Probably paint all the cabinets a vintage white, add new hardware, put in new carpet or wood flooring, new coat of paint on the walls,reupholster with some cool new fabrics, and maybe add some granite countertops. It's hard to look at a picture like below and see the coolness it could have. But I can see it. And I wouldn't be ashamed to drive it.





I want to travel with my family. I want to create memories that will last us our lifetime. I want to drive up the PCH in our butt ugly motorhome. I want to see ocean views from our cute little kitchen while we drive. I want to travel through pismo beach and show our kids the little beach town we spent our honeymoon at. I want to travel up through monteray and walk through their awesome aquarium again. I want to drive through San Francisco and get our family picture taken in front of the bay bridge. I want to camp at Yosemite National Park. I want a picture of my little kids in front of giant redwoods at redwood national park. I want to travel through Oregon, a state I have never seen. I want to drive through Seattle, a city I've always wanted to visit. I want to visit a best friend if they have not moved back to Az by that time. I want to drive through Forks, just to see what its like :) And then, I want to turn around and drive home.

And of course, when we arent using our sweet motorhome. Its up for free grabs when you want to take your family on the ride of their life!

So here is our dilemma. and the reason for this post. we need some help. we need your advice.

We keep debating over an old motorhome or a vintage travel trailer. We have pros and cons of each.

With a motorhome we could drive it. we could walk back and get in bed when one of us gets tired. I could be baking cookies while we drive. We would have a bathroom for potty breaks so we wouldnt need to pull over. We could tow our quads if we wanted. But...it would have an engine, an old one, and all the maintenance that comes with engines. right now thats my only con. oh and they are ugly on the outside.

With a vintage travel trailer you have no engine just a couple of tires. They are sweet looking especially when they have a cool paint job. It would take less maintenance. But...you cant enjoy it while you drive it. you tow it.

Here are a few travel trailers I have found that I LOVE! Of course i am posting the coolest ones I have found. There are lots of uglies out there. And an ugly we would probably buy and then fix up. but they also have great potential.




This next one is my favorite. A husband and wife renovated this travel trailer for their cupcake business.


So we are asking for some advice. give us your opinion. because one day, family and friends, you will want to borrow our renovated motorhome/travel trailer.


or we can get one like this and hook it to Bryce's bike. ha!




7 comments:

  1. ooooooh. tough question. don't forget about having to drain the sewage from your motor home. you can't just dump that stuff anywhere!
    (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4335667.stm)


    Either way, as long as you come visit, I will be happy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a Gurreat idea! hehe Good question: this is what Jenna and I thought. The motor-home would be nice since you can just hop in and go and plus you can take turns napping if your going long distances. However, we'd be a little worried that a super old motor-home would have a super crappy engine which may not be reliable for long trips. I would think you would need to get one with less miles or drop a new engine in it or something. The travel trailer does look sweet but if you only own two luxurious Elantras and can't pull one! hehe You'd have to let us borrow the tundra too which would be fine with us! Sorry if this doesn't help much but we tried!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wake up! Wake up!

    Tundra/hotels is the way to go. You can take the same, sweet pics in front of that bridge and those tall trees. Plus, your funds won't be all tied up and cramp your Craigslist addiction...

    Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man! Your dream sounds like my dream! I could invision everything and it makes me homesick. And dude, you can't say "the PCH", you gotta just say "PCH" or else everyone will know you aren't local. Just trying to keep you cool like the HSS vs Jack's thing. Oh, and I'm not even going to get into your beach house in Newport rather than Huntingon. Sheeesh!
    So, my opinion, it's a toss up really. I'm kinda loving those travel trailers! If anyone could make those junkies look like a dream, it's you and Bryce. If I would have known you were in the market, we could have sold you "Joe" for the time being. I'll have to tell you about our long lost tent trailer one of these days. :)

    P.S You are a blogging machine these days! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some how these ideas don't surprise me at all!!! I These pictures take me back to my child hood with our Sportscoach it got a whopping 2 or 3 miles to the gallon! but it was great we could do all the great things your dreaming about. It never seemed to go the speed limit though so it took twice as long to get any where! You may want to watch THE LONG LONG TRAILER with lucy and Desi it may help you with your decision!!
    Lots of Love,Mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have no idea what advice to give you seeing as how your realistic dream is no where close to any of my dreams...due to severe car sickness oh and the fact that my baby hates road trips! but your un-realistic dream is one of mine also..so in unrealistic world I will by the beach house next to you and we can turn the jarvis/connolly trip into the bennett/gurr trip! yayayaya! PS i think I love the vintage trailor the most(that is based purely on looks though!) love you

    ReplyDelete
  7. Totally the tailor, i want one too! By the way, I thought maybe your dream was somehow an announcement of baby #2 :)

    ReplyDelete