Monday, October 24, 2011

that time i went to forks.



For our girls trip this year, we boarded a plane, for seattle washington.

Our dear friend Chelsea let us stay in her home. and drive her minivan. and man oh man, did we drive that minivan.

Here are a few of my favorite things. i did with a few of my favorite people. 


1. We rode in Ferry's. Ive never done this before. Where you actually drive your car on a boat that takes you to another body of land. it was awesome. Sometimes we stayed inside when it was cold and sometimes we went up top to take in the scenery and let the wind blow in our hair.

i loved looking out the windows of the ferry. each window looked like its own poloroid with its own unique seaside picture.



2. Whidbey Island. This was our little adventure on Friday. I loved this island. I loved its cute shops. good food. and totem poles down by the ocean.

We ate lunch at an adorable little country store called The Braeburn. 




Where we drank drinks like blackberry sprites and the best strawberry lemonade ive ever had.

And ate things like: three digit grilled cheese (layers of sourdough bread, bacon, and white cheddar), Goat cheese quesadillas, and my favorite, a fresh mozzarella, tomato, and basil sandwich.



We walked through some of the islands cutest shops and then headed down by the ocean. Where we enjoyed the amazing weather, beautiful scenery, and managed to put together our own human totem pole.






 3.  Roadtrips. I love roadtrips with my girls. there's nothing funner. Since Forks was a good 4 hours from Chelsea's home, we had a good roadtrip to get there.  We ate our favorite car snacks. listened to our favorite high school tunes. danced here and there. picked up tribal tattoos. and managed to see some of the most beautiful scenery I have ever seen in my life.







4. Arriving at Forks. This made the favorite list. It was intense. magical. giddy. exciting.



Im sorry to report that the actual town of Forks did not make the favorite list. but i will share my thoughts and a few photos anyway. Forks was lame. It was ghetto. We tried. We really tried to love it. But it was lame. Everything was "made up" because the actual movie didnt take place there. No, im pretty sure that's not bella's house. Its a random house, that a family lives in, with kids toys out front. But the sign says its the Swan home, so we take a picture by it. And this is how it goes for about 30 minutes. we all try to keep a smile on our face and pretend that this is totally worth the 4 hour drive. Until someone finally breaks. There may have been yelling. there may have been swearing. There was definitely lots of laughing as we all broke down and admitted how stupid forks was. And it quickly became the big joke of our trip. Throughout the remainder of our trip things would be said like: "this is worse than forks." and someone else would say "no. nothing is worse than forks." That night we were all laying down in a hotel room in downtown seattle. When things got quiet, when girls were almost asleep. the statement was said "remember that time we went to forks." And then came the erruption of laughter and a few tears with all that laughter. That made the trip worth it for me. There were many hours of driving. but that 10 minutes of nonstop laughing, thats what I will remember about that time we went to forks.


5. Leaving Forks. Yes, leaving forks turned out to be my MOST favorite part of this whole trip. For when we left forks, we drove about 20 minutes to LaPush beach. Let me paint a little picture for you. We turn off the main highway and follow signs leading us to lapush. For 20 minutes we are driving through, what feels like, a tunnel of huge trees. And youre thinking to yourself, were lost, how could there be a beach close. and then all of the sudden it opens up and there, right there, is the most amazing, beautiful, and breath taking beach i have ever seen. This is LaPush. It's littered in beautiful beach wood. from small pieces to ginormous trees. There are huge rock formations jetting up from the middle of the ocean. On some of these formations there are forests of trees. I have never seen anything like it in all my life. 













6. Downtown Seattle.  My favorite parts were the gum wall. which was pretty gross but totally amazing at the same time. And when I convinced my girlfriends to drive to the space needle so I could take a picture. I unfortunately happened to be the only one who hadnt been to downtown seattle before. so while the space needle was old news for my girls who stayed in the car. It was exciting and fun for me to see the space needle up close in real life.













7. Our last dinner together. It took place at Claim Jumper. We eventually figured out that all we wanted was to share appetizers. lots of appetizers. Thank goodness I didnt have my camera on me to document what our table looked like when all of the food arrived. We had 3 orders of pretzels and cheese, mozzerella sticks, southwest eggrolls, lemon pepper fried zuchinni, garlic cheese bread, and 3 boats of ranch. we ate it all. don't judge.

8. My last favorite thing. being with my girls. talking. laughing. eating. and dancing. as if we were all still in high school.

until next year. love you girls.


(some of our footage from the trip, for those that like videos)

5 comments:

  1. The pictures of the beach are amazing! Looks like a fun trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you had a lot of fun! Loved that you had your hair in a braid! You looked so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. k so I cried during your video. One because I used to live in Washington and love it there. But mainly because I love and miss being a part of the dance parties!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been waiting for this trip report for a long time. That looked like an awesomely fun trip. Jade looked like a vampire in at least 4 photos. Fun to see Chels back with her crew. I really liked the pictures of the food. I have started my own gum wall under our pew at church. Very nice post.

    -dad

    ReplyDelete