Thursday, September 23, 2010

mental pictures















A conversation I recently had with my girlfriends: 

me: "don't you just wish sometimes that you could take pictures with your eyes"



One agreed. the others laughed.

Mental pictures. maybe its the photographer in me but sometimes it feels like my eyes are their own lenses. I see something. they focus on it. my eyes shut. click. mental picture. i take them all the time. its necessary.

sometimes i dont have a camera... click...mental picture.

sometimes technology doesnt give the scene the justice it deserves...click...mental picture.

sometimes we are driving in a car and dont have time to stop...click...mental picture.

sometimes im too lazy to take out my camera...click...mental picture.

or sometimes. sometimes. a scene is to precious or fragile to be interrupted with a camera...click...mental picture.

Here is my most recent mental picture:

Bryce is out of town. Its just me and Bens. Its bedtime. Benson usually goes to bed perfect. Maybe he was missing his dad or just needed some love because he cried when i put him down. and he continued to cry. So i finally went in there and picked him up and carried him over to the rocker. where i rocked him. My little but not so little boy. He's gotten so big since the last time i rocked him. we sat there for a little while. I thought he might be asleep. When i look down to check he slowly lifts his head up, looks me in the eyes, and touches my chin with his little chubby fingers. a minute later he is fast asleep with his fingers still on my chin...i then close my now tear filled eyes...click...mental picture.

5 comments:

  1. you made this grandma cry :) you do have a way with words my creative daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. why does evryone have a way with words exceot for me in this frienship? that was so beautiful and I can picture benni boo's little chubby fingers right now!

    sorry i laughed...mental pictures are amazing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my little Bens. You are too cute for words. Nothing more precious than a little baby boy snuggled up next to his mama and falling fast asleep. I would file that mental picture away for years and years to come. What a sweet post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry I laughed too! I wasn't laughing at what you said it just was kind of random. But I like the randomness! Thanks for this post. I need to take more mental pictures of my life and enjoy every moment.

    And Jade, have you met me? I have no way with words!

    ReplyDelete
  5. make it all worth it, right? those little moments make every frustrating, exhausting, stressful moment totally worth it.

    love this.

    ReplyDelete